It’s been a long time since I went to Jurong Point – the last time I was there was sometime during my NTU (Nanyang Technological University) days like 7 years ago! Jurong Point was the closest point of civilisation for students of NTU, or at least for me…
I found myself headed that way this Labour Day – to catch the premiere of the blockbuster Marvel’s The Avengers, in conjunction with the re-opening of Golden Village (GV) Jurong Point.
You’ve probably read it in the news already – the 3-month 4.5-million GV Jurong Point revamp offers a totally enhanced movie experience.
What can you expect?
- Wider and more luxurious Camatic cinema seats for increased comfort and leg room
- All-digital cinema screens
- Stadium seating with clear sightlines
- Improved projection and sound systems in all cinema halls
- 7.1 Dolby Sound system with premium-grade EAW speakers from the United States
With a total of 1,062 seats across its 6 cinema halls, with 14 berths set aside for wheelchair-bound patrons, GV Jurong Point has also refurbished the common areas, toilets, box office and candy bar counter.
Can you spot me in the picture above?
At the re-opening yesterday, one of Singapore’s most popular TV characters Aunty Lucy (played by actor Dennis Chew) made an appearance and “she” was quite an attraction with members of the public swarming around “her” for photographs and autographs!
To commemorate the occasion, special promotions will be running at GV Jurong Point until 23 May. Daily promotions include:
· Monday: Free coke drink with purchase of one large popcorn
· Tuesday: $2 for two cheesy hotdogs (usual price $4)
· Wednesday: All-day student pricing and $2 off on Nachos combo
· Friday & Saturday: Free late-night parking at Jurong Point Shopping Centre
· Sunday: Complimentary restaurant vouchers with every pair of tickets purchased before 2.00pm
For more detailed promotions, see here.
The Avengers movie was good – typical superhero(es)-win(s)-the-day type of show – but if you are not familiar with all the backgrounds of each superhero then I suggest you go read up a little.
I was a bit lost because I wasn’t familiar with Black Widow and the Hawk (who never had his own movie), but at least I watched Thor, Captain America, Incredible Hulk and Ironman! I wish there was more footage on the Honda NSX, which only came out at the end…
Do check out the new GV Jurong Point when you can!
#03-25B/26, Jurong Point
1 Jurong West Central
Nearest MRT Station: Boon Lay (EW27)
Bus Lines: SBS Transit 30, 79, 154, 157, 172, 174, 178, 180, 187, 192, 193, 194, 198, 199, 240, 242, 243, 246, 249, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 257, 405, 502, 507, 179, 182.